Tuesday 23 June 2009

MG Aile Strike Gundam #05

When my paint and mini-drill set finally arrived, I've been able to apply the plamo-plus parts on the MG Aile Strike. It was quite a hassle, because the tubes are 1.7 mm while my range of drills goes from 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0. So I had to be careful not to force the remaining 0.2 mm by squeezing the tube in the plastic. I might end up in cracks and tears...

For the tight fit problem, I drilled the holes in all radial directions while the drill was in the hole and praying that I could smuggle 0.1 mm. Sometimes I drilled a few times diagonally to widen the 1.5 mm to the desired 1.7 mm. Guess what, it works perfectly. You would think that the exterior of the hole would look a bit messy by this, but the reamer will finalize it into a clean symmetric whole. One down, another 24 to go....

Source: Tamiya, Plamo-plus

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice, i like the plamo plus parts. i've seen some parts that look alike months ago. i couldnt find them anywhere. until now, i know that hlj sells some of them. and the drill set is a thing im looking for to, do you use handdrill or machinedrill's (if you know what i mean)?

greetz marc

Chobin said...

Hi Marc,

I'm using the hand-drill set, because of the small parts. It's quite easy and controllable. You'll need the smallest 0.2mm to 2.5 mm or something. I'm using the Tamiya Fine Pin Vise and drill set...

Good luck!